Keep putting one foot in front of the other

Keep putting one foot in front of the other: This is something that my mother said over and over again when I was a child. It didn't mean much to me until I was an adult and actually experienced hardships that slowed me down. Now when bad things happen, I remember her words and it helps me get perspective.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Women and Work: Bands are businesses too!

This is really a note of appreciation to a band: Heart.

I recently watched the TV special about the bands and artists that were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this year. One of them was Heart, a band founded by two sisters, Ann and Nancy Wilson.  They have been together since the early 60s, almost as long as the Rolling Stones, but really became popular in the 1970s and after.

Photo courtesy Heart-music.com
As they accepted their award, it was interesting to listen to them talk about being women in business. They talked about having kids, working when their kids were small, and dealing with a male-dominated business all these years, too. It was interesting because you really don't think of a band as a business, but it really is. They are artists as well as entrepreneurs. Their business employs a lot of people and earns a lot of revenue. I saw Heart for the first time at the University of Illinois on November 15, 1978. They absolutely blew me away. I covered the concert for the yearbook, Illio, and in the yearbook I wrote that it was strange to see men carrying roses to them on the stage, and that they really had a cult-like following on campus.

After all these years, Ann and Nancy Wilson showed during their recent Hall of Fame induction that they have aged well, they appreciate their fans, they have remained with their band, and held their business together against many odds that have shattered and shuttered other businesses, let along bands. As a woman who came of age just a few years behind them, I appreciated seeing them in 1978, and they gave me a perspective on music that I didn't have before. This year, they gave me a perspective about being women in business and entrepreneurs that I didn't fully appreciate. I have tickets to see them this summer at Ravinia here in the Chicago area, and I am really looking forward to it. It is great to see strong, talented women who have beaten the odds, created amazing songs and memories for their fans, and earned their place in music history. Cheers to Ann and Nancy Wilson, and to the boys in their band too!

No comments:

Post a Comment