Keep putting one foot in front of the other

Keep putting one foot in front of the other: This is something that my mother said over and over again when I was a child. It didn't mean much to me until I was an adult and actually experienced hardships that slowed me down. Now when bad things happen, I remember her words and it helps me get perspective.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

There's something to be said for leisure....

There's something to be said for leisure. One of my good friends recently reminded me of that line from one of our favorite movies, White Christmas. The line in the movie was in the context of the retired general remaining retired and being too old for active duty.  My friend reminded me of it as I prepared to leave one professional role and begin to determine what my next role will be. She assumed I would be taking it easy for a while while I had my thinking time.

My trouble is that leisure is not a word associated with me or my workaholic family. I come from a long line of people who think that holding down only one job makes you a slug. Most people in my family have a primary job and then one or more other jobs. It is probably the work ethic of my Polish ethnicity that has been handed down through the years.

So, as I determine what I want to do for a living for the next few years, I am very busy with non-profit work and for giving my skills to friends who own locally-owned businesses.

So I am sure there is something to be said for leisure, only I am not sure what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment