Keep putting one foot in front of the other

Keep putting one foot in front of the other: This is something that my mother said over and over again when I was a child. It didn't mean much to me until I was an adult and actually experienced hardships that slowed me down. Now when bad things happen, I remember her words and it helps me get perspective.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Hunter S Thompson: an early blogger?

When I was in college I was introduced to the works of Hunter Thompson. Since I was in journalism school and fancied myself a writer, I was mesmerized by the "new journalism" as it was called then. The first person accounts that Thompson wrote were revolutionary at the time - very avant garde, especially because of the honest depictions of drug use. Today, these kinds of writers would fit into the blogosphere nicely, wouldn't they? It was so different in the 70s and Hunter Thompson was in the forefront. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a fantastic portrait of a drug addled writer. It always made me wonder how much of his drug use was exaggerated. How could one be so doped up yet remember so much? It is somewhat like the Keith Richards' memoir, Life, that I am currently reading. Richards even uses quotes about himself from the books of others. But he, too, recalls a lot despite his drug abuse. I think it is time to re-read some Hunter Thompson, and wonder what he would be doing today, and if he would have a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment