Keep putting one foot in front of the other

Keep putting one foot in front of the other: This is something that my mother said over and over again when I was a child. It didn't mean much to me until I was an adult and actually experienced hardships that slowed me down. Now when bad things happen, I remember her words and it helps me get perspective.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Time to slow down

This time of the year usually feels so rushed. This year I am going to try to slow down and enjoy my friends and family. The decorations are up, the gifts have not been bought yet (but that's OK) and I have begun my annual baking today.

Keeping things in perspective is important. I think about the strife in the world and feel blessed to live where I do in a free country, despite our political divides. As a former journalist, I watched yet another decline in journalistic / media civility this week when some radio hots made a prank phone call to the hospital where one of the British royal family was, and a nurse subsequently committed suicide, apparently over the call. Perspective. It's important.

Enjoy the holiday lights. Enjoy your families, Enjoy your friends. Be happy to be alive. If you have good health, be grateful for that. If you have an extra few dollars, give to a non-profit that helps others. The feeling you have at this time of year is more important than the things you have. Slow down and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment